Are you wondering how to care for vinyl windows? Vinyl windows are designed for easy care and maintenance. Just a tiny bit of elbow grease from time to time will extend the life and beauty of your windows.
Below are some quick and basic tips for caring for your vinyl windows. Following these “do’s and don’ts will extend the life and performance of your vinyl windows:
Vinyl Window Care “Do’s”
- Vacuum soil and debris from the sill or track before washing.
- Use a mixture of mild dish soap or any non-abrasive soap and water to gently clean window frames.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft absorbent cloth.
- Make sure any weep holes are clear of obstruction and draining properly. Weep holes help your window drain and are located on the bottom of the window.
- Remove the screens and wash them with a soft brush on a flat surface with mild dish soap and water.
- Check the weather stripping around all window sashes in the fall.
- Occasionally lubricate moving parts including rollers and tracks. Make sure to test the lubricant on an unseen part of the window to ensure it doesn’t stain.
Vinyl Window “Don’ts”
- Don’t use abrasive or caustic cleaners or solvents as they may damage the finish of your windows.
- Don’t wash windows in direct sunlight, if possible.
- Don’t use a high-pressure spray to wash the windows as it may damage the insulation and glass seal.
- Don’t use sharp instruments or abrasive pads to clean the glass.
- Don’t attach anything to the glass, such as masking tape. Heat from the sun may bake the adhesive into the glass, and make it difficult to remove.
- Don’t use a silicone spray on plastic parts as it may damage them; use a non-wax furniture polish instead.
Vinyl windows are a great investment for your home. Ask one of our GNH Experts about vinyl windows or visit our showrooms to see the latest styles and options for yourself!
The Benefits of New Windows
Are new windows worth the cost? How much value will it add to your home? What are the potential energy efficiency savings?