Your windows may appear operational, but if they whistle, rattle or leak, then you’re likely losing money in heating costs. The same is true of your brittle or cracked weather-stripping. Small leaks, cracks and rattles add up to a big difference in your monthly utility bills.
If it’s time to update your windows, consider double hung replacements. There are many advantages to the design of the window, including easy cleaning and care. In addition, double hung windows can improve energy-efficiency and curb appeal, too.
Here are some of the major advantages of double hung windows:
- Superior Ventilation. They provide great ventilation capabilities and the ability to control airflow. For maximum ventilation, you simply open both top and bottom sashes – the bottom sash will let in cool, fresh air, while the top sash will allow warm indoor air to be expelled through it.
- Aesthetically Adaptable. Its traditional look can match any home style. In fact, double hung windows are known for their classic appeal, which makes them suitable for any home or room. They also come in a variety of styles, sizes, colors, and finishes.
- Easy to Maintain. These windows often come with tilt-out sashes that make cleaning easier, as you can clean both the interior and exterior from inside your home. Some even have removable sashes.
- Addition Friendly. They are ideal for the easy fitting of air conditioners and screens. Because most units are designed to slide up and down instead of cranking out or sliding to the side, they can safely hold AC units, and allow for their easy removal, as needed.
- Energy-Efficient. Aside from the superior ventilation mentioned earlier, this type of window brings in a generous amount of natural light. By choosing Low-E glass with gas fill you can further enhance savings on your energy costs.
For all these reasons and more, you should seriously consider double hung windows as an option when choosing replacement windows for your home.