Dream Decks Start Here!
Whether you’re building your deck from scratch or improving your current deck, the right deck stain is essential to produce a beautifully finished product. Thankfully, with the right tools and some Duckback® Deck Stain, you can achieve professional results – even if you’re a DIYer! Available in a wide range of colors, shades, and finishes, this deck stain can get you one step closer to your dream deck. But proper preparation and staining technique are also key. Let us show you the tricks of the trade to crafting a perfectly stained deck, so you can get out and get staining!
Gather Your Gear
Before you can begin the staining process, you’re going to want to have all the right tools and gear on hand! After all, you want to protect your investment in your dream deck and ensure that any future maintenance is simple to do. It’s also important to consider the quality of the tools you use – high quality tools mean professional-level results. You don’t have to worry about going outside your budget either, if you shop around, you can always find the right tools at the right price. We recommend gathering this equipment together before you start prepping your deck for staining:
- Safety glasses
- Garden hose
- Drop cloth
- Sanding sponge
- Stiff synthetic-bristle brush (make sure it’s specific to oil, water-based formulations)
- Pump sprayer (optional)
- Roller covers
- Extension pole
- 4″ brushes (make sure they’re specific to oil, water-based formulations)
Choose Your Color
Now that you have the basics assembled, you should decide on which stain you’ll use on your deck. Duckback® has a wide range of deck stains available in 5 distinct opacities. What stain you choose all depends on the style and finish you want the completed deck to have. You have your choice between:
- Transparent – Adds warmth and glow and shows 100% grain clarity. Superdeck Transparent Stain is one such product, featuring a three-oil formula that uses the highest quality iron oxide pigments to create long-lasting colors and inhibit UV damage caused by the sun.
- Semi-transparent – Adds rich pigmented color with moderate hide. Superdeck Semi-Transparent Oil Based Stain uses a unique formula that contains Carnauba wax for an extremely durable finish and a beautiful lustrous sheen with mar and scuff resistance.
- Semi-solid – Beautiful color hides wood grain while allowing texture to show through. Superdeck Semi-Solid Stains with Cool Feel Technology delivers a coating that helps reduce surface temperature, making it cooler to walk on.
- Solid – Maximum durability and hide. Superdeck Solid Stains are an acrylic latex solid color coating that are fortified with a super-bonding alkyd resin that provides priming and penetration, plus outstanding adhesion to chalky surfaces.
- Super-solid – Offers lasting protection. Superdeck Deck and Dock Elastomeric Coating is a high-build elastomeric coating designed to protect, resurface and waterproof old, damaged wood.
Preparation is Everything!
Once you’ve got absolutely everything you need together, it’s time to prep that deck! Preparation really is everything when it comes to staining, as inadequate preparation is the most common reason for deck stain failure. Begin by thoroughly examining your deck to see if it’s clean – if there’s any dust, dirt, wood fibers or grease on your deck, you’ll need to take care of it prior to staining. Unclean deck surfaces lead to uneven coating and make it more likely that your stain won’t set properly. To ensure your deck is as clean as possible, we recommend that you:
- Thoroughly sweep the deck to remove debris.
- Liberally apply cleaner using a roller or pump sprayer (you should wear protective equipment to avoid contact with skin and eyes).
- Allow the cleaner to set for 15 minutes. Mist your work area with a garden hose to keep it wet while the cleaner soaks into the wood.
- After 15 minutes, work the cleaner into the surface using a stiff synthetic-bristle brush. Scrub to remove residue thoroughly.
- Use a garden hose to completely rinse the cleaner from the wood.
Once your deck surface is completely clean and dry, then you’re ready to stain.
Easy as Pie to Apply!
Now comes the fun part – applying the stain and enjoying the lovely results! One of the best things about Duckback® is how worry-free the application process is, you’ll be done after following these simple steps:
- Before applying stain, sprinkle some water on the deck. If the droplets sink in, the wood is ready-to-be stained.
- Working with the wood grain, apply an even coat of stain using a 4-inch brush. You may also use a roller to first apply the stain, and then work into the wood with your brush.
- For best results, avoid staining at midday or in direct sunlight.
- Depending on temperature and humidity, allow 24 – 48 hours of dry time before using your beautifully stained deck.
You’re now ready to spruce up your deck in style! Get in contact with the helpful team at GNH to find the answers to any of your decking questions!
Invest in Beautiful, Low-Maintenance Siding!
Tired of staining or painting your home’s wood siding? Maybe your siding has seen better days and the color is outdated? Get started today on your re-siding project! The experts at GNH are here to help you match your home’s style and keep your siding project in budget!